Zealandia: The Exhibition and Sanctuary Valley
Take a trip through time and see the evolution of New Zealand’s wildlife brought to life at ZEALANDIA Eco-sanctuary! This is one of New Zealand's premier eco-attractions located only ten minutes drive from central Wellington. At the ZEALANDIA Visitors Centre see the exhibition, where you'll discover New Zealand’s incredible natural history and world-renowned conservation movement showcased in a state-of-the-art indoor exhibition. Then step outside, through the predator-proof fence and into the sanctuary valley, a beautiful 225-hectare (550-acre) eco-sanctuary that offers you the best opportunity to see some of New Zealand’s rarest birds, reptiles and plants in the wild. Your ticket includes entry to both the exhibition and sanctuary valley.
What's included :
- Visitor map
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- Food and drinks
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Visit: ZEALANDIA Sanctuary, 53 Waiapu Road, Wellington 6012 New Zealand
As you enter the exhibition at ZEALANDIA, you’ll be transported back 1,000 years to the time before humans arrived on New Zealand. Stand face-to-face with the long-lost giants of the bird world – the 10-foot-high (3-meter-high) moa and the man-eating Haast’s eagle. On the big screens, witness centuries of catastrophic loss as generations of new settlers, and the animals and plants they bought with them, changed the face of New Zealand forever. Then find out what is being done to put the pieces of this fractured paradise back together.
As you step outside into sanctuary valley, the world’s first fully fenced, urban eco-sanctuary, look and listen for more than 30 species of native birds and reptiles, including tuatara, saddleback, hihi, takahe and many more. ZEALANDIA 500-year vision is to restore the Sanctuary Valley as close as possible to its pre-human state.
To gain greater insight, you can join a ZEALANDIA By Day guided tour at either 10am, 11am or 1pm.
Departure Point :ZEALANDIA Visitors Centre
Departure Time :7/1/2019 - 6/30/2020
Monday - Sunday: 09:00 AM - 05:00 PM
Return Detail :Concludes at ZEALANDIA Visitors Centre
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Wheelchair accessible
- Operates in all weather conditions, please wear warm clothing layers and bring a waterproof jacket
- Last entry is at 4.00pm (ZEALANDIA opens at 9am and closes at 5pm)
- Cafe and gift store available
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.