Volcanic Valley Self Guided Walking and Hiking at Waimangu
Explore New Zealand’s geothermal landscapes at your own pace on this independent Waimangu hiking tour. Follow rugged hiking trails through the Waimangu region, and take in top natural attractions like Frying Pan Lake, Inferno Crater Lake, and Lake Rotomahana. Trek past the unique craters and steaming geysers, and capture the spectacular scenery on camera. At the end of your hike, return to your starting point via the shuttle bus.
per adult from
- Family friendly
- Instant Confirmation
- Choice of several departures throughout the day
- Flexibility to customize your itinerary to your own preferences
What's included :
- Admission Fee for Self-Guided Walk
- Guide Sheet
- Internal Shuttle Bus
- Entry/Admission - Waimangu Volcanic Valley
What's excluded :
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase)
- Food and drinks (available to purchase)
- Transport to/from attractions
- After check-in at reception, enter the volcanic valley between 8:30am and 3pm to begin your self-guided 2.5-mile (4-kilometer) walking tour.
Follow winding footpaths through the geothermal landscape and admire panoramic views over natural attractions including Frying Pan Lake, Inferno Crater Lake, Lake Rotomahana, and the other volcanic craters which make up Waimangu.
Discover sweeping geothermal terraces, hot springs, and steam vents all set amongst a beautiful native forest and grassland, and enjoy outdoor adventure in the heart of the New Zealand wilderness. Along the way, keep watch for sightings of native wildlife unique to this geothermal terrain.
On arrival at the end of the hike — at Lake Rotomahana — return to the reception area by complimentary shuttle bus to bring your independent tour to a close.
Departure Point :20 minutes south of Rotorua or 45 minutes north of Taupo.
Departure Time :First admission 8:30am every day. Last admission 3pm every day.
Valley closed at 5pm every day.
Return Detail :This independent tour returns to original starting point via shuttle bus.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible, please advise at time of booking if wheelchair assistance is required. Passenger must provide their own carer.
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those with walking disabilities.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.