Tuatara Wetlands Tour at Sanctuary Mountain
Discover the secrets of the Tautari Wetland and learn why wetlands need to be restored. You’ll hear the story of the people behind the wetland; the family who gifted the land to the Trust. Walk along the inside of our multi-species predator-proof fence and find out how we keep the wetland pest-free.
Explore the Tuatarium with your guide for an insight into the fascinating world of tuatara - their history, life cycle and unique physical characteristics and hear about how they came to be at Sanctuary Mountain®. The wetland is also home to a breeding pair of flightless takahē. A species once thought to be lost forever, the takahē made history when they were rediscovered 1948. Encountering a takahē* for the first time can transport you to a pre-historic world!
* Viewing of takahē may be restricted during their breeding season Oct - Jan
- Soak up the atmosphere on a walking tour
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Family friendly
What's included :
- Professional guide
- Local Taxes
- Entry/Admission - Sanctuary Mountain Maungatautari
What's excluded :
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Food and drinks
Explore our wetland and learn how 80% of wetlands in the Waikato were drained for agricultural use, and why they need to be restored.
You will learn about our large scale project, vision and the history of Maungatautari. Find out about the importance of the fence and our trapping and monitoring programmes.
Go into the Tuatarium to learn about the history, life cycle and physical characteristics of the tuatara and their journey to Maungatautari. With the assistance of our knowledgeable guides keep a look out for any that maybe basking in the warmth of the afternoon.
Our breeding pair of takahē may be visible dining on their diet of grasses, once thought to be extinct; these rare birds were rediscovered in 1948.
Finally make your way back to the visitor centre where you can relax and take in the view and utilise our facilities. Here you will find informative displays and information about other tours and events at Sanctuary Mountain®. You can also purchase refreshments and souvenirs, with all proceeds going towards conservation projects on the 'maunga' mountain.
Departure Point :Pukeatua, Waikato
Departure Time :1:00 PM
Return Detail :Guided tour ends back at the Visitor Centre.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Please arrive a minimum of 10 minutes prior to departure
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wear sensible walking footwear
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately