Tauranga Shore Excursion: Rotorua Wai-O-Tapu Wonderland plus Maori Village
Visit Wai-O-Tapu to see why TripAdvisor says it is "One of the 20 Most SURREAL Places in the World" and why it is considered to be New Zealand's most colorful and diverse geothermal attraction. You will take a leisurely walk to see this unique geothermal landscape sculptured out of volcanic activity over thousands of years and take time to view the world famous Lady Knox Geyser which erupts each day at 10:15am.
After lunch (own cost) you will take a short drive back to Whakarewarewa and visit the Living Maori Village. Here, a Maori guide will take you on a 1-hour guided tour of the village to see bubbling mud pools, the Pohutu Geyser and you will be entertained by a cultural performance of dance and song including the haka.
Then, you will take a drive through Rotorua and show you the city sights before returning to Tauranga.
per adult from
7 hours 30 minutes
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- All entrance fees included
- Free port pickup and drop-off included
What's included :
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Professional and friendly guide/driver
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Entry to Whakarewarewa Living Maori Village
- Entry to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
- Entry/Admission - Whakarewarewa - The Living Maori Village
- Entry/Admission - Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Diverse landscapes and cultural delights await you on this popular combination tour. Your fully guided small group trip takes in the thermal wonderland of Wai-o-tapu, as well as Whakarewarewa Village in Te Whakarewarewa thermal valley to experience a warm welcome from the local Maori. This is the ultimate geothermal experience!
• Marvel at the diverse landscapes sculpted out of thousands of years of volcanic activity.
• See the famous Champagne Pool, Devils Cave, Artist’s Palette, Sulphur Cave and many more geothermal features.
• Erupting 20-30 metres into the air, the Lady Knox Geyser erupts at 10.15am every day (we will visit if ship times permit).
• Home to New Zealand’s largest bubbling mud pool.
• Experience life as a local – this is a real village built amongst an active geothermal valley. An insightful 1 hour tour of the village with one of the residents is included.
• See bubbling mudpools, boiling hotpools and the ever-playful Pohutu Geyser. You'll soon understand why Rotorua is nicknamed 'Sulphur City'!
• Enjoy an authentic 30 minute cultural show by Te Pakira – one of Rotorua’s leading performace groups. See songs, chants and poi dancing…as well as the famous war dance – the Haka.
• Learn how the Maori people have adapted to life in this unique landscape – using nature to help in everyday life. You’ll be amazed how useful the hot springs can be!
On top of all this:
• Enjoy all the famous sights of Rotorua city – including Government Gardens, the Bath House, Rachel Spring and the stunning lakefront.
• Marvel at the lush Bay of Plenty countryside – passing forests, lakes, orchards, beaches and more. We even stop at a kiwifruit orchard so you can see first-hand how these furry icons are grown.
Our team has been delivering world-class Shore Excursions for over 16 years. It all started with owner Ian - one man and a beloved Rolls Royce car. Today, the number of vehicles and tours has changed, but the philosophy hasn’t – every customer is treated like one of the family, and we will make sure you have an unforgettable day. We have over 100 years combined tour guiding experience so you know you are in capable hands (and if you’re lucky you may even get to travel with Ian – he still loves to get behind the wheel!).
Travel on a modern, air conditioned van with a passionate local as your host. We specialise in small groups to allow an intimate and personalised experience. Every tour is guided and commentated from start to finish - our guides delight in showing off our little corner of the world. And, we guarantee to have you back to the ship on time!
Departure Point :4 Salisbury Ave, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga 3116, New Zealand
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This tour requires some walking on well-made but unsealed paths, gentle inclines and some steps
- The tour is not suitable for user of mobility scooters or wheelchairs (unless very small collapsible ones). Folding walkers/frames can be accommodated but passengers must be able to enter a minibus using the standard steps. You must advise us at the time of booking if you are bringing any mobility device - failure to do so may result in you not being able to take the tour.
- The Lady Knox Geyser erupts at 10:15am everyday - any tour departing after 8.45am will unfortunately miss this
- Comfortable clothing and flat shoes are recommended
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.