Tauranga Shore Excursion: Hobbiton Movie Set and Rotorua Geothermals Combo
This tour combines a visit to Hobbiton and Rotorua all in one day. Experience a 2-hour guided tour of the Hobbit movie set on privately owned, picturesque farmland in a hidden valley. See Hobbit Holes, Bag End, and enjoy a complimentary drink at the Green Dragon Inn. Then it is on to Whakarewarewa in Rotorua for geysers, boiling mud, and a 30 minute cultural performance. Don't miss this fantastic day out that showcases why the Port of Tauranga is such a popular destination.
What's included :
- 2 hour guided tour of Hobbiton Movie Set
- A tankard of Hobbit ale at the Green Dragon Inn
- Comfortable air-conditioned transport
- Experienced, professional and fun guide
- Entry to Whakarewarewa Maori Village
- Entry/Admission - Hobbiton Movie Set
- Entry/Admission - Whakarewarewa - The Living Maori Village
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, however you are able to grab a bite to eat along the way
Stop At: Hobbiton Movie Set, 501 Buckland Road Matamata, Hinuera 3472 New Zealand
Escape into the enchanting world of JRR Tolkein’s imagination – on a trip to the Hobbiton Movie Set and farm.
Intricately recreated after being used as a film set for both the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit trilogies, and set deep in New Zealand farming countryside, this location is on many visitors’ bucket lists!
• Explore 44 Hobbit holes set across 12 acres of lush pasture and manicured gardens. You can even get pop inside a doorway for a souvenir photo.
• Learn inside tips from your specialist guide and get wrapped up in the fascinating stories they tell.
• Make a visit to Bag End, the Party Tree, Gandalf’s Cutting, The Mill House and more. For you movie buffs there are recognisable landmarks at every turn!
• Cap off your tour with a complimentary ale, cider or ginger beer in the Green Dragon Inn…where you can sit by the fire, admire the expert craftsmanship and imagine life as a hobbit!
Duration: 3 hours
Stop At: Whakarewarewa - The Living Maori Village, 17 Tryon Street Whakarewarewa Village, Rotorua 3010 New Zealand
- Experience life as a local at Whakarewarewa Village - a real village built amongst an active geothermal valley. An insightful 1 hour tour of the village with one of the residents is included.
- See bubbling mudpools, boiling hotpools and the ever-playful Pohutu Geyser. You'll soon understand why Rotorua is nicknamed 'Sulphur City'!
- Enjoy an authentic 30 minute cultural show by Te Pakira - one of Rotorua's leading performace groups. See songs, chants and poi dancing...as well as the famous war dance - the Haka!
- Learn how the Maori people have adapted to life in this unique landscape - using nature to help in everyday life. You'll be amazed how useful the hot springs can be!
Duration: 2 hours
Pass By: Mt Maunganui Main Beach, Marine Parade, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga New Zealand
Drive past the stunning coastline that makes the Bay of Plenty such a popular place to visit.
Pass By: Government Gardens, Queens Dr 9 Queens Dr, Rotorua New Zealand
Enjoy a drive through the interesting Rotorua city centre. We usually have time for a quick couple of photos here.
Pass By: Lake Rotorua, Rotorua New Zealand
Enjoy scenic vistas of this dormant volcanic caldera.
Pass By: Okere Falls, Okere Falls, Rotorua District, Bay of Plenty Region, North Island
Pass by the bush clad holiday homes on this picturesque lake. See the outflow where the white water rafters take the plunge!
Pass By: Kiwifruit Country, 316 State Highway 33, Paengaroa 3189 New Zealand
Drive through the heart of New Zealand's kiwifruit industry. See the orchards and learn how important this fruit is to the local economy.
Departure Point :Port of Tauranga Ltd, 2 Salisbury Avenue, Mount Maunganui 3116, New Zealand
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour includes walking, with some inclines and steps on unmade paths
- This tour is not suitable for wheelchair users or any other mobility devices due to the paths at Hobbiton
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- This tour runs with a minimum of 4 fare paying passengers. We will advise on the day if the minimum hasn't been met, and offer alternative options if necessary
- Please purchase a ticket for all travelers in your group - including 'purchasing' a ticket for all infants. NZ transport law requires us to count all heads on board. One child or infant max per adult ticket.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour is for passengers arriving on a cruise ship into the Port of Tauranga
- This is a Pre Booked Tour Only!
- No sales on the day of the Tour!
- 9am is the regular tour start time. This may be adjusted for early/late arriving cruise ships. We will advise any time change at time of booking
- Please ensure you provide a contact phone number and/or email address that you will have with you and/or checking whilst on holiday so any last minute tour time changes can be notified
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- QR codes unique to each tour vehicle
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.