Stray New Zealand: Short North - Freestyle Travel Pass
See the best of the North Island and get further off the beaten track with the Short North Pass. Starting from Auckland, you'll head to the stunning Coromandel peninsula and dig your own spa pool at Hot Water Beach. From there, you head to Rotorua, also known as the adventure capital of the North! See bubbling mud, visit hobbits, or zipline through virgin forest here. You'll have an authentic cultural experience at Lake Aniwhenua, where you can help to support a struggling community. Stay at a high country farm and see conservation first hand, before setting off on NZ's best day hike, the Tongariro Crossing. Eat and drink your way around Wellington, before heading back up to Auckland to finish your trip.
You can hop on and off the route anywhere you like for up to 12 months, so you can see more and do more on your New Zealand adventure!
per adult from
10 to 365 days
- Multi-Day Trip
- Small-group tour
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Comprehensive tour by bus/coach
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
What's included :
- Fun and knowledgeable Stray Guide
- Access to 'off the beaten track' destinations and national parks
- Transport on modern, comfortable air-conditioned coach
- A wide selection of free and optional activities
- Access to the exclusive Stray Mate app for special discounts
- Flexibility - stay as long as you like in each destination and travel at your own pace.
What's excluded :
- Optional Activities
- Food and drinks
- Auckland to Hahei
Depart Auckland for Hahei, renowned for its natural beauty and pristine swimming beach. If the tide is in our favour, you'll go to the unique Hot Water Beach where you can dig your own personal spa pool in the sand!
Relax on the beach or take a scenic walk or kayak to the nearby Cathedral Cove. If you prefer water sports go scuba diving, snorkelling or take a glass bottom boat tour.
Hahei to Raglan
Visit the world-renowned surf town of Raglan. There’s no better place to learn to surf; but if you don’t fancy a splash in the waves, watch the surfers from the beach or enjoy a bush walk. Chill out or go hard in this arty surf town.
Raglan (via Waitomo) to Rotorua
Departing early, our first stop on route to Rotorua is at Waitomo Caves! Our second stop is the Hobbiton Movie Set. What a day! Those not interested in Hobbiton can continue on to Rotorua.
Rotorua to Lake Aniwhenua
Try one of the adventure activities on offer in Rotorua in the morning before heading to Lake Aniwhenua. Here you'll learn about Maori culture, see some of the oldest Maori rock carvings, visit the local Marae (Maori meeting house) and learn how to cook a traditional ‘Hangi’ dinner!
Lake Aniwhenua to Whakahoro
After breakfast we’ll depart to drop lunch packs off at a nearby school as part of an inspiring community project that brightens the lives of local school children. Then it’s on to Taupo to visit Huka Falls with the option to Skydive over Lake Taupo! Then we head off the grid to Whakahoro, one of the most remote parts of the North Island. We stay at Blue Duck Station, an award winning conservation farm.
Today is yours to fully explore! Go on a 4WD bush safari, horseback riding, kayaking or walk to the Kaiwhakauka waterfall.
Whakahoro to Raetihi
Today you get the chance to tick off one of the most popular activities in New Zealand by hiking the epic Tongariro Alpine Crossing, considered one of the top one-day walks in the world. This 19km walk will take you across a rocky plateau with Mars-like vistas, dramatic volcanic peaks, craters and turquoise lakes.Tonight we will stay in a homely historic Nurses Home in Raetihi, with friendly farm animals.
Raetihi to Wellington
Today is mostly an express day to get to Wellington. It's a great place to check out the lively arts, craft beer and café culture scenes or do some shopping. The afternoon is yours to explore the sights, Oriental Parade or viewing the excellent exhibits on display at Te Papa National Museum.
Wellington to Auckland (via National Park)
Today is an express journey from Wellington to Auckland. We stop in National Park on the way.
Departure Point :Auckland CBD
Departure Time :7:10 AM
Return Detail :Auckland City, early evening (can vary depending on road conditions)
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 3 departures per a week operate all year round
- The pass is valid for for travel for up to 12 months from the first date of travel.
- Managing your pass: When you book only your start date is confirmed. You will able to download the Stray Mate app where you can view, book, amend all additional travel days for your pass. You can change your start, however you must 'start' travel within 12 months of the original purchase date.
- Accommodation and activities are not included with the price of this Freestyle Travel Pass.
- Most travel days will include a free activity which will be explained by your Guide (ie local walks and sight seeing). Optional Activities can be booked via the Stray Mate App.
- nsurance cover is not included in the price of a pass. We strongly recommend that you take insurance to cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage and public liability.
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.