Stray New Zealand: Far North - Freestyle Travel Pass
Discover the sub-tropical Far North with our Freestyle Pass. Starting from Auckland, head north and discover ancient forests and blissful beaches in Paihia and the Bay of Islands. Take a day trip from Paihia to experience the magic of Cape Reinga at the top of New Zealand. See two oceans collide, sandboard down massive sand dunes, and swim in pristine waters. Learn about the cultural significance of this special place, and enjoy a Kiwi classic, fish and chips on the beach.
Hop on and off anywhere along the route for up to 12 months, so you can see more and do more on your Far North adventure!
What's included :
- Fun and knowledgeable Stray Guide
- Access to 'off the beaten track' destinations and national parks
- Transport on modern, comfortable air-conditioned coach
- A wide selection of free and optional paid activities
- Access to the exclusive Stray Mate app for special discounts
- Flexibility - stay as long as you like in each destination and travel at your own pace.
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Optional activities
- Auckland to Paihia
Nau mai, haere mai (welcome)! Your Stray adventure kicks off in New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland. We depart for the beautiful Bay of Islands, bound for the relaxed seaside town of Paihia often called the ‘gateway to the Bay.’ We stop en-route to visit the Parry Kauri Forest Park and hug some of the world’s mightiest trees, the native kauri, on our way to Paihia.
NB: For those travelling up to Cape Reinga the next day, remember to book this day trip in Stray Mate the day before you intend to travel or speak to your Stray Driver Guide on the way to Paihia. The Cape Reinga day trip is operated by a local partner so pre-booking is essential.
Paihia to Cape Reinga and back
Gear up for a big day, departing early to make the trip to the top of the country. Don’t forget to pack lunch, water and some snacks to keep you going today. Travelling on a custom built coach you'll drive up 90 Mile Beach, an official public highway, to Te Paki Stream, where you'll learn the art of sand surfing on some of the biggest sand dunes in New Zealand. Our destination is Cape Reinga, where the Tasman and Pacific Oceans clash at the northernmost point of the country. Legend says it is also the departure point for Maori souls leaving New Zealand to return to their spiritual homeland of Hawaiki. The trip home includes a walk in a kauri forest and a stopover at Mangonui for a Kiwi classic dinner of fish 'n chips (pay on the day), before returning to Paihia in the evening.
NB. This day trip is operated by a local partner, so you cannot hop off the bus today. You can book/amend your preferred date in Stray Mate up until 11am the day before travel. After this time, any changes to your Cape Reinga Day Trip must be made directly with Fullers GreatSights at their Paihia waterfront office.
Paihia to Auckland
Enjoy a sleep in and spend the morning at your leisure. There’s time to do the fantastic half-day Hole in the Rock dolphin cruise around the Bay in the morning, or take this opportunity to walk to the nearby Haruru Falls or just hang out on the beach. Mid-afternoon we jump back on board the Stray bus, destined for the bright lights of Auckland, where there are still plenty of exciting activities to do if you have a free day or two.
Departure Point :50 Fort St, Auckland, 1010, New Zealand
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A minimum of 3 departures per a week operate all year round
- The pass is valid for for travel for up to 12 months from the first date of travel.
- Managing your pass: When you book only your start date is confirmed. You will able to download the Stray Mate app where you can view, book, amend all additional travel days for your pass. You can change your start, however you must 'start' travel within 12 months of the original purchase date.
- Accommodation and activities are not included with the price of this Freestyle Travel Pass.
- Most travel days will include a free activity which will be explained by your Guide (ie local walks and sight seeing). Optional Activities can be booked via the Stray Mate App.
- Insurance cover is not included in the price of a pass. We strongly recommend that you take insurance to cover you for cancellation, medical expenses, personal accident, personal baggage and public liability.
- Luggage is limited to one bag or suitcase per person (maximum weight of 15kgs), plus one day pack to carry onboard with your valuables. The carriage of any excess of oversized luggage is at Stray's discretion and must be approved prior to travel.
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This pass is subject to the Operators standard terms and conditions.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 42 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.