Shore Excursion: Best of Auckland Small-Group Walking Tour
Discover Auckland's downtown lanes and uptown vibes on this small-group walking tour of maximum 8 people. Your top-rated local guide will reveal the city's Māori and European heritage, must-see sights and popular eateries. All with a cheeky sense of Kiwi fun. Your tour also includes refreshments at an art-deco heritage hotel and a short ride uptown on the locals' bus to a vibrant neighbourhood and a grand old arcade. Add the option of lunch at a city laneway bistro to experience the full flavours of Auckland in a morning.
The minimum booking is 2 people. This tour is limited to 8 people for a more personal Auckland experience.
What's included :
- Local Aucklander as your guide
- Small group guarantee
- 2.5 hour walking tour uptown
- Refreshments (Coffee, tea or cold drink)
- Local bus fare
- Lunch reservation and drop off (if optional extra selected)
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Expect a local greeting in Maori from your expert guide, a friendly Aucklander. Your 2.5 hour morning tour sets off from downtown’s historic Queen Street. Along with your small group, you’ll leave the bustle behind and wander into laneways bursting with local art, boutiques and cafes.
A stroll through an outdoor plaza reveals a shopping oasis of Kiwi high fashion. A narrow alley where the sailors and traders once came ashore, brims with shady stories. As you walk you'll hear the Māori and colonial history of Auckland and discover its volcanic beginnings.
Your tour includes an indulgence or two including refreshments at a gorgeous art-deco hotel. Afterwards you'll emerge from the old town at the gateway of a past Maori fortress, now a serene city park. With a stunning view of Sky tower, you’ll learn about the World War Two secrets right under your feet. Pause and admire the award-winning Auckland Art Gallery, before hopping on the locals’ bus with your guide. For a short ride uptown to a vibrant artistic neighbourhood and one of the city's last heritage arcades.
A stroll down a tranquil valley bursting with birdsong is an unexpected delight in the heart of the city. Walking through the theatre precinct you may unexpectedly discover an actor rehersing. Each day in Auckland is a theatre of the street.
Your tour ends on upper Queen Street next to the Auckland Town Hall. Here your guide will bid you farewell or “Haere Ra” and offer advice on what to do next.
To lunch like a local, choose an optional upgrade. Finish your tour with a delicious lunch and a glass of New Zealand wine or beer at a popular city bistro. Your guide will escort you to the restaurant and bid you 'bon appetit'.
• Walk with a fun Kiwi guide
• Personal small group encounter
• Stylish back laneways
• Auckland's old town and history – Māori and colonial
• Discover Albert Park, Auckland Art gallery and Town Hall
• Refreshment break - barista coffee, tea or cold drink
• A bus ride to an uptown neighbourhood
• Auckland’s theatre district
• Add a cafe lunch as an optional extra
Departure Point :Downtown Auckland City
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Tour ends uptown on Queen Street, at Aotea Square (next to the Auckland Town Hall)
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Group size: We require a minimum of 2 walkers for a tour to proceed and booking cut off is 6pm the night prior.
- The tour is best suited to children 10+ as the route is not stroller friendly and the tour is 3-4km of moderate-paced walking.
- Lunch option: The selected city bistro is a local laneway favourite and caters for diary or gluten free diets. Please enquire on the day. Your guide will escort you to the venue and your pre-booked table. Your prepaid lunch includes the choice of a Main plus a glass of NZ wine, NZ beer or a soft-drink followed by barista coffee or tea. Any extras at guest cost.
- Bring with you a proof of booking, walking shoes, a sunhat, sunscreen, rain jacket and bottled water.
- Accessibility - A light to reasonable level of fitness is required. The tour is around 3-4km long including a short uphill climb, flights of steps and a short bus ride. This tour is not suitable for wheelchairs or people on mobility scooters.
- Weather, Tours proceed rain or shine. All part of the fun.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.