Rotorua Maori Hangi Dinner and Performance
Complete your adventure through Rotorua with a traditional Maori "hangi" feast. You'll travel by coach to Tamaki Maori Village where your local guide will escort you on a cultural journey to the "marae" (Maori village), the life force of New Zealand's indigenous people. Take the opportunity to engage in an evening of local customs including a traditional Maori dinner feast.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
- Led by a local guide
- Great overview and orientation of the city
- Dinner included
What's included :
- Hangi Dinner
- Tour escort/host
- Air-conditioned vehicle
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Maori performance in traditional meeting house
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Your journey through time unfolds when your coach travels to a pre-European village set deep within the forest, 15 minutes from Rotorua. Let this 3.5-hour tour and your imagination take over as your guide instructs you on the protocol for visiting the marae. A chief is selected, a song is learnt and the eerie cry of the welcome is heard before you enter the world of the proud warriors of the ancient Maori.
You will experience the powhiri (welcome ceremony) before you enter the village, with crackling open fires in front of traditional whare (houses). You'll hear traditional Maori instruments and watch the daily activities of days gone by. In the wharenui (meeting house), a Rangiatea culture group offers a powerful display of haka song and dance. Then, as new friendships are forged, dine on a traditional hangi feast, where the food is cooked slowly beneath the ground in earth ovens.
This is an amazing re-enactment based on actual events from history, with real characters, traditional arts and crafts, powerful song and dance while enjoying an authentic Hangi feast.
Departure Point :Tour departs from your selected Rotorua city hotelOrTamaki Booking Office - 1220 Hinemaru Street, Rotorua
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
Hotel pickups commence approximately 30 - 60 minutes prior to this time, exact pickup time will be advised on reconfirmation.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Camera and Video usage is permitted throughout the entire evening experience.
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.