Rotorua Eco Thermal Small Group Morning Tour
Explore the technicolor hot springs of Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland on a guided half-day tour of New Zealand’s most extensive geothermal site. Walk along well-groomed trails that skirt volcanic craters and natural hot pools in a surreal range of vibrant colors. Witness the daily eruption of the Lady Knox Geyser and take in the highlights of the Waimangu Volcanic Valley. Small-group tour limited to a maximum of 12 people allows for a more customized experience with your expert guide.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
- Instant Confirmation
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Small group ensures personal service
- All entrance fees included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
What's included :
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
- Entry/Admission - Waimangu Volcanic Valley
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- After morning pickup from your Rotorua hotel, travel about 25 minutes in a comfortable minivan to Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland, taking in the sight of farmland and forests as you drive.
Upon arrival at Wai-O-Tapu, your experienced guide leads you along well-marked paths to reach a series of brilliantly colored natural pools of steaming hot water that bubble with geothermal activity. Hear a morning presentation about the Lady Knox Geyser and watch the daily eruption that shoots a fountain of water high into the air.
Your guide explains how the Tarawera Volcano eruption in 1866 formed the park's natural hot springs that glow in bright yellow, orange and turquoise colors. Your guide also points out examples of how the native bush regenerated after the eruption. As you take in bubbling mud pools, steaming lakes and more, you’ll understand why Wai-O-Tapu is considered one of the world’s most surreal places.
Expect a leisurely walk along wide trails with plenty of time for photo ops and informative commentary from your guide. Feel free to ask any questions that you may have as you admire the otherworldly beauty of Wai-O-Tapu.
See even more geothermal spots during a short drive through the Waimangu Volcanic Valley. Your guide explains the ways that local Maori people have used the sites as well as how New Zealand’s volcanic processes work.
At the end of your 4-hour tour, your guide returns you to your Rotorua hotel.
Departure Point :Rotorua central locationPeppers on the PointKorua LodgeBlack SwanRed Rocks Cleveland Bella VistaNovotel Ibis Regent Best InnMillenniumSudimaCrash PalaceQuestYHA TrekksBase BackpackersRydges Four CanoesExecutives on FentonEmerald Spa CopthorneDistinctionHoliday Inn Rotorua Thermal Holiday ParkAlpinePrinces GateTourism RotoruaJet ParkSilver FernArista Arista CapriWylieTuscany VillasPalm courtPohutu LodgeSport of KingsGreenviewSilver Oak
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point at approximately 1.00pm
Hotel Pickup :
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- Not recommended for participants with heart complaints or other serious medical conditions.
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.