Rapu (New Zealand Surf & Snow Tours) - 7 Day Surf Tour
This trip has everything! Heaps of time in the water to practice and advance your surfing skills, fun and knowledgeable ISA certified coaches guiding and hosting you, a choice of many other awesome activities to keep you occupied, and enjoyable and relaxing evenings at our beach side lodge… cold beverage in hand, hot barbeque sizzling, cool tunes playing in the background and breath-taking sunsets. Instruction is tailored to your level of surfing ability to ensure you get the most out of your experience and after just 7 days you will be amazed at how much you have advanced your skills!
- All transportation, pick-up and drop-off, from central Auckland – trip departs every Sunday at 7.30am and returns the following Saturday by around 5pm.
- 6 nights’ accommodation, mixed dormitory-style, at Ahipara Surf Lodge (bedding is provided).
- 3 meals daily.
- Surfboard and wetsuit hire.
- Surf lessons – up to 2 lessons per day dependent on tide times and swell and wind conditions.
- 1 optional day free for other activities* giving you the opportunity to discover what the Far North has to offer
*Additional cost applies. All activities offered at a discounted rate when booked through Rapu.
- Lunch on Sunday & Saturday while in transit to and from Auckland.
What you need to bring:
- Sunscreen and lip balm – These are essential!
- Swim wear
- Party funds
- Lots of energy!
On this trip you will quickly make new friends, many who become life-long, and enjoy Northland’s amazing scenery through the eyes of a surfer. This trip is not just your average tour, for many it is a life changing experience. You will live the life of a surfer and get a taste of true kiwi culture!
Tangaroa and Tawhirimatea, the gods of the ocean and the elements, ultimately dictate our itinerary. Surfing is all about tide and weather conditions, hence the flexible nature of our trip, but the itinerary will endeavour to cover most if not all of the points below:
- We will pick you up from central Auckland on Sunday morning and transport you up to our own exclusive lodge (Ahipara Surf Lodge) which is absolute beachfront located at the base of ‘90 Mile Beach’. The drive is approximately 4.5 hours. En route we will make a few pit-stops to pick up some lunch. Once settled into our accommodation we normally head out of our beachfront pad and begin our surfing adventure!
- Every morning you will awaken to the sound of the ocean, an exquisite sun kissed beach with no one around, and a breakfast spread giving you all the energy you need for your exciting day!
- Every evening, after a full day of surfing, we’ll enjoy a yummy dinner while reminiscing about the waves and watching the sun slowly fade into the ocean. We’ll discuss the conditions for the following day and form a game-plan together before we hit the sack and rest up for another day of epic waves.
- Throughout the week we will cover surfing theory - surfing rules, surf conditions, rips, currents and tides and each day we will individually work with you to slowly and consistently build your skills and advance you to the next level.
- Each day we will set out on a mission to find the best waves in Northland. This could mean driving on the beach to get you to secluded surf locations, enjoying the surf right in front of the lodge or heading to the East coast to chase those waves. Each day will be different but just as enjoyable. Some days, if the conditions suit, we could be off for a dawny surf at sunrise. For some this is regarded as the highlight of their surf tour. Being in the water as the sun slowly rises (giving the ocean an orange tinge) is an unforgettable experience.
- During those hours in the day when we aren’t in the water there are many other options and fun things to do. We can choose to do something as a group or just enjoy some down time to ourselves – whatever will give you the most out of your trip! We could visit the Ancient Kauri Kingdom, go on a hunt for some Tuatuas or the tasty green-lipped mussel or just use the time to ask all those questions about anything surfing related.
- One day during the week will be set aside as a rest day. We have teamed up with some other awesome tour operators to arrange discounted prices on activities for you that are usually only offered to operators and employees only! Just let us know whatever your heart desires and we can arrange it for you.
- Before you know it, it’s Saturday morning and you won’t believe how quickly the week has gone by! You’re body aches but you can’t stop smiling. You’re hooked on surfing – the addiction has begun. But after one last surf session it’s time to leave. Allow us to transport you back to Auckland while you relax and reminisce on your week of epic adventure. Unless of course you have heard the ocean calling and you are remaining with us for another week in paradise…
- If you have already chosen or choose to extend your stay to our 14 day package then it is time to let the waves take you on a journey. At this point, you are truly starting to understand the ocean and how she moves and you are seeing a stunning improvement in your surfing ability. Meet up with the new group for the next week and prepare to let the sea set you free!
Runs every week from October through to May! Space is limited to 11 people and minimum numbers are required.
Departing Auckland every Sunday at 7:30am (Pick up is from outside the Westpac Bank located on the corner of Queen St & Darby St)
Return to Auckland Saturday 5:00pm