Rangitoto Island Tour from Auckland
Take in the magnificent lava fields and natural beauty of Rangitoto, the volcanic island that is one of Auckland’s most iconic landmarks. Enjoy a short ferry ride to the island then board your 4-wheel drive (4WD) tram to a spot near the island’s summit, where a short walk to the top rewards you with magnificent views of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf. Your guide will provide informative commentary about the island’s history, geology and surprisingly rich plant life, including the world's largest pohutukawa forest.
What's included :
- Live commentary on board
- 2-hour guided 4WD road-train tour on Rangitoto Island
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Food and drinks
- Catch your ferry at downtown Auckland’s ferry terminal and relax on the 25-minute trip to Rangitoto Island where you’ll meet your 4WD tram (pulled by a tractor). Hop aboard for a guided tour of the volcanic island with a knowledgeable guide who provides commentary on the island's geology, plant life and human history.
You'll journey across rugged lava fields as your guide explains the origins of the island, formed about 700 years ago after a series of volcanic eruptions. About 200 species of moss, plants and trees, including the largest Pohutukawa forest in the world, now thrive on the island.
The 4WD tram takes you to the base of the summit where you’ll walk a half mile (900m) along a wooden boardwalk to reach the top. Be sure to bring your camera for fantastic panoramic shots of Auckland and the Hauraki Gulf. You might also spot birds native to New Zealand, such as the saddleback, tui and fantail.
Once you have soaked in the scenery from Rangitoto’s summit, you’ll rejoin the tour vehicle for the return trip via the western side of the island. Pass some of the preserved bachs–modest beach homes that were built in the 1920s. Bach settlements have almost disappeared in New Zealand, making Rangitoto's a rare example of this piece of architectural history. You may also see remnants of obsolete ships that, in the old days, were left to rot on the island’s hidden shores.
Be sure to bring enough snacks, water and sunscreen for the day as there are no stores on the island. A moderate level of fitness is needed for the walk to the top of the summit; people who do not want to do the walk can enjoy the views from the base.
Departure Point :Downtown Ferry Terminal, Auckland CBD
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 2 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- This Voucher is Valid for Travel
- Please dress appropriately
- The 4WD road-train has drop-down clear curtain for protection in the rain
- No shops are located on the island. Please bring food and drinks. Food and beverages can be purchased on the ferry en route to Rongitoto Island
- The walk to the summit includes boardwalk stairs. The walk is optional. You can choose to enjoy the view from the base
- Be sure to bring enough snacks, water and sunscreen for the day as there are no stores on the island
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.