Rail and River Run - Rail Cart and Jet Boat Tour
Enjoy the best of both worlds, a mixture of nostalgia and adrenaline. This full day tour explores both the Okahukura Stratford railway line by RailCart and the Whanganui River by Jet Boat and includes an appetizing Ploughman’s lunch at the old Tokirima Station.
per adult from
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Local guide
- All shuttles
What's excluded :
- • Explore the Okahukura-Stratford line, including the line’s longest tunnel at 1.5 kilometers
• Discover the stunning scenery of the Whanganui River by jet boat
• Enjoy the up close encounters with wildlife and birds in our region
• View Herlihy’s Bluff
• A full day of adventure with all transfers, morning tea and lunch includedAfter checking in at our office in the Forgotten World Motel and the completion of required forms, we will gather everyone together for a quick pre-trip briefing before boarding the shuttle bus to take the 10 minute bus ride to Okahukura where your RailCart awaits. Once there and you have stowed your belongings in your cart, it's time for your driving instructions and then we are underway down the railway line. You will pass through the longest tunnel on the line of 1.5 kms and several hand built brick tunnels. At various point of interest down the line your guide with gather the convoy of RailCarts together and tell the stories of the early settlement of the area and how the railway became their point of connection. Keep an eye out for native bird life and the many animals that can be seen from the railway corridor.
Stop for morning tea at the rural community hall of Matiere. A delicious Ploughmans lunch awaits you where the old Tokirima Station used to be. Read the story boards and immerse yourself in the rural seclusion of this area.
After lunch it is time to board the shuttle bus again for the short journey down to Ohinepane Landing where your jet boat awaits. While you are fitted with your life jacket you will hear how the Whanganui River was the earliest mode of transport in the area. Step aboard our 15 seater Jet Boat "Ongarue" and enjoy the sights of the river while skimming your way back to Taumarunui. Your shuttle vehicle will be at Cherry Grove to meet you and bring you back to our Forgotten World Motel.
Departure Point :Forgotten World Motel
Departure Time :7:30 AM
Return Detail :9 Hakiaha Street
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.