Private Jeep Expedition from Bay of Islands
Explore the back country roads of the Bay of Islands in a luxury, late model Jeep Wrangler with a maximum of 4 passengers in your group included in the price. On your private 5-hour guided expedition you will travel over more than 50% unsealed roads and see historic locations, panoramic scenery, subtropical rain forests and rural farming areas away from the crowds. Your tour is adaptable with no fixed schedule, allowing you to stop for photos, ask questions, take your time or relax and talk with your local driver.
per adult from
What's included :
- Private tour- only your group in the Jeep
- Price per Jeep is the same regardless of the number of passengers (per person price drops the more people in your group)
- Local driver/guide
- Port pickup and drop-off (if applicable)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks (available to purchase at lunch stop, rural tavern)
- Your day begins with a short drive south from Paihia to the first of your tour’s unsealed roads with the Jeep’s off-road capabilities providing a safe and comfortable ride. You will follow the approximate path the British troops took in 1846 to reach Ruapekapeka Pa, the Maori fortifications, and site of the last battle of the Northland wars. Following an elevated ridgeline brings you to the WW1 monument at Tapuhi before travelling to the main highway for a stop at a rural tavern for lunch. Here you can purchase traditional kiwi pub food and a cold beverage if you wish before you continue onto the next of the expeditions unsealed roads.
Passing through the Taikirau wetlands, an area of varying bio-diversity, will give you the opportunity to do some bird spotting in the reeds and swamp along the way. Next you pass through pine plantations and see one of Northland's major industries up close before making your way to the quirky town of Kawakawa. Famous for its photogenic public toilets, designed and built by the Austrian artist Friedrich Hundertwasser, the town also features a historic railway that passes down the centre of the main road. If you are lucky a train may even pass through town and stop traffic.
Next the 4WD of the jeep is re-engaged to make the trek up another unsealed back country road into the Opua Forest. Here you can go for a 20-minute walk along a well formed trail that will allow you to get up close and personal with ancient kauri trees. Lastly you will visit the seaside port of Opua for a final spectacular viewpoint of the Veronica Channel before your personal Jeep expedition finishes back where you started in Paihia.
Departure Point :1: Bay of Islands i-SITE Visitor Information Centre, The Wharf 101 Marsden Rd, Paihia 0252, New Zealand
2: Bay of Islands Yacht Club, Waitangi 0293, New Zealand
3: Paihia Wharf, Bay Of Islands, Northland 0200, New Zealand
4: Cass Street, Cass St, Russell 0202, New Zealand
Traveler pickup is offered
Departure Points:• Paihia bus and taxi stand• Central Bay of Islands accommodation • Bay of Islands cruise ship tender portDirections: If you are arriving off a cruise ship in the Bay of Islands, you will be picked up from the tender jetty. Please ignore the start time and get the earliest tender you can to give you the most flexibility to your day. Your guide will be holding a sign saying "Jeep Tours" and will be located on land before the buildings.Return point: If you were picked up at the cruise ship jetty your tour can optionally end at the Paihia waterfront. On cruise ship days there are free shuttle buses that can get you back to the tender port.PortsBay of Islands
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- A maximum of 4 people per booking (if there are 4 in your group then 3 will be friendly across the back seat)
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Vehicles can transport a collapsible wheelchair, however the driver is unable to assist passengers boarding and disembarking
- Access to some attractions may be limited for those with walking disabilities due to uneven surfaces
- A moderate amount of walking is involved to reach all attractions
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.