Palliser Bay and Coastal Delights Tour from Wellington
Get off the beaten track with this tour to Palliser Bay! Visit Lake Ferry and the fishing village of Ngawi where you can take in the stunning views of this unique coastline. Enjoy visiting the largest fur seal colony in the North Island, where you will be able to experience up-close encounters with the friendly animals. Visit the Cape Palliser lighthouse and also stop in at the charming Martinborough for world class wine-tastings. Relax and enjoy your lunch at the historic Lake Ferry Hotel where you can try their famous ‘Fish and Chips’!
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Wine tasting
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- After being picked up from your Wellington hotel, relax and enjoy the scenery as you are driven through the city center and into the Lower and Upper Hutt valleys. Your knowledgeable tour guide will share interesting facts about Wellington’s history as you travel..
You’ll also see where the Great River Anduin, and visit Kaitoke Park, the location for Rivendell. See where Frodo’s recovery from the sword attack by the Ringwraiths was staged, and take a walk across the swing bridge to see the pristine river flowing below.
As your tour continues through the Rimutaka and Tararua Ranges, your guide will point out local landmarks. Pass through the rural farming towns of Featherston and Martinborough before reaching the tiny settlement of Lake Ferry, where you’ll stop for lunch (included) at a country-style waterfront inn.
After lunch, your tour continues to Cape Palliser Bay, where you’ll have an up-close encounter with one of New Zealand’s largest fur seal colonies. If you’re feeling energetic, follow the 250 steps leading up to the Cape Palliser lighthouse for some stupendous coastal views.
On your return journey to Wellington, stop at a Martinborough winery for a tasting of New Zealand’s renowned wines. The region produces a range of wine varieties but is especially prized for its pinot noir.
Departure Point :Wellington i-SITE CentreORSelected Wellington hotels
Departure Time :8:30 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point at approximately 5:30pm
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.