Otago Peninsula Bike Tour from Dunedin
Landscape, wildlife and history come together to make the Otago Peninsula one of the premier biking destinations. On this 4 hour small group bike tour, you will experience the remote beauty of the Otago Peninsula. Bike the quiet gravel roads, view wildlife, and walk along deserted white sandy beaches, home to penguins, seals and sea lions.
- Get inside tips from a local
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
What's included :
- Bike & helmet
- Pick-up and drop-off at Port Chalmers
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Begin at Port Chalmers, a short 2 minute walk from your ship after docking. From here you will be driven to the areas top tourist destination, Otago Peninsula.
You will start your ride in the picturesque village of Portobello. After being custom fitted on a premium bike, you will make your way around the inlets and coastline of the Pacific Ocean. This is an area of remote natural beauty with very little development. Wildlife is everywhere, including seabirds, wading birds and fur seals. You will also visit a local beach, complete with white sand and crashing waves. One of the most beautiful on the peninsula, this beach is habitat for penguins and world's rarest sealion, the New Zealand Lion or Hooker Sealion.
Traveling by bike is the best way to see and experience the beauty of the Otago Peninsula. You may ride at a pace that allows you to see the sights, hear the sounds of the birds, cicadas and the ocean and smell the fresh air of this untouched environment.
Biking times and distances vary depending on the group, but generally biking takes place for 2 hours and +/-15km (10 miles)
The tour takes place on public roads, including paved and unpaved roads with traffic.
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A PHYSICALLY DEMANDING TOUR. There are steep hills and you will need to have a good level of fitness if you intend to do the Otago Peninsula regular bike tour. If you don't cycle often (less than once a month), we strongly advise choosing the Otago Peninsula electric bike tour.
Departure Point :Outside the Port Chalmers Public Library, a 2 minute walk from the cruise ship terminal
Departure Time :
Return Detail :Cruise ship terminal, Port Chalmers
Hotel Pickup :
Tour departs within walking distance of the cruise port
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- At time of booking, Cruise ship passengers must provide the ship name
- Minimum of 2 people applies. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there is not enough passengers to meet requirements. In the event of this occurring, you will be offered an alternative or full refund
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- All participants are expected to have a good fitness level to enjoy the ride. Good fitness means being able to climb 3 flights of stairs without puffing. If you are unable to do this, then you MUST choose the electric bike option.
- Due to bicycle weight limitations, customers weighing over 130kg or 280lbs are prohibited from this tour
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum age is 13 years
- A maximum of 9 people per booking
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- Warm clothing, wind proof jacket, no baggy trousers
- Electric bike tour option a minimum age of 18 years applies
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.