Okarito Eco Tour
Explore the old gold mining village of Okarito - one of New Zealand's unique hidden gems. Reknown for New Zealand's longest natural wetland and feeding ground to the Kotuku (White Heron), home to Royal Spoonbills and 74 other species of birds including many seabirds like the Eastern Bar-tailed Godwit, pied Stilts and Oyster Catchers.
The village itself has rich gold mining and flax (harakeke) export history, with an old wharf shed now converted into a mini museum. Well known for it's beautiful picturesque sunsets, 360 degree stunning views of Mount Cook and Mount Tasman (NZ's highest mountains) as well as views of the Franz Josef Glacier, lagoon, kiwi sanctuary/forest and beach and Okarito township.
per adult from
What's included :
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Afternoon tea
- Local guide
- Professional guide
- Pickup and drop-off from designated meeting points
- Transport by air-conditioned minivan
What's excluded :
- Meet in our office in Franz Josef Glacier, (or we can pick you up from your hotel accommodation in the Franz Josef township). Enjoy the beautiful drive past rivers and Lake Mapourika, to the village of Okarito. Approx 30 min drive. We may stop along the way to show you specific interests we think you may enjoy ie historic or natural highlights.
Visit the historic wharf shed of Okarito and talk with your guide about the historic whaling, flax and gold mining industries this village used to provide.
Depending on the day and your requirements, we may go out to the beach to get a good view of the mountains for you to photograph.
We then begin the Okarito Trig Walk, a 1.5 approx walk up to a lookout to get those 360 spectacular views.
Head back to our office in Franz Josef in our minivan (or transfer back to your accommodation in Franz Josef township).
Departure Point :Franz Josef Glacier
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 4 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.