Napier Prison Audio Tours
Walk through New Zealand's oldest prison! Listen to a 50 minute self guided audio tour of Napier Prison while inspecting the vacant prison cells and deserted exercise yard. Learn the history and feel the oppressive atmosphere of the hanging yard, the solitary confinement and the death row cells. Hear the tales of Australasia's richest drug baron, numerous escape attempts, the ominous Eye Eater, and the graveyard.
Take your time walking through the empty halls and enjoy several photo opportunities that are great for the family!
- Step back in time on a history tour
- Recorded commentary by audio headphones
- Family friendly
- Multiple times offered throughout the day
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Perfect for all ages and skill level
What's included :
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
- Free Parking
- Free Storage
- Clothing for photo opportunities
- Entry/Admission - Napier Prison Tours
What's excluded :
- Opening in 1862, Napier Prison is New Zealand's oldest penal complex
Begin your tour at the front gate and enter through the prisoner-built wall and walk through the Visiting Area where family members could see their loved ones. Take a look at the The Pound and see what solitary confinement meant in the 1900s, and visit the Detox Room where inmates would be disinfected and begin their new life behind bars. Next, step through the Courtyard where the Shower Block, Toilets, and Mess Hall are located. Learn about their meager meals and the few recreational activities available. As you enter the living areas, you'll witness the living conditions that inmates were subjected to, see how they left their mark on the Prison, and learn about the Earthquake that leveled Napier City. You'll make your way through the back of the Prison where you'll learn about the Graveyard and the prisoners that remain here. Finally, around the Cleaning Building, you'll visit the ominous Hanging Yard where several inmates met their end.
This audio guided tour allows you to take your time (or skip) certain parts of the Prison. The tour allows you to read extra information and take great photo opportunities along the way.
Departure Point :Napier Prison
Departure Time :Anytime from 9am-4:30pm (last entry) 7 days a week
Return Detail :Napier Prison
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Most travelers can participate
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Operated by a multi-lingual guide (Audio)
- Graveyard or Hanging Yard not recommended for pregnant women or small children
- Due to uneven surfaces, this tour is not recommended for those using a wheelchair
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum age is 4 years
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.