Mauao Ocean Experience
Discover the beautiful Mt Maunganui from the ocean. This is a cultural experience on both stand up paddle boards and waka ama (outrigger canoes), delivered by tangata whenua (people of the land) of Tauranga.
This experience is around 3 hours long, with approximately 2 hours on the water.
What's included :
- Towels available.
- All stand up paddle board and waka ama equipment.
- Life jackets.
What's excluded :
- Wet suits (not required)
- You will be collected from the gates of the Port of Tauranga by one of our qualified, local guides. You will then be taken to our beach station on Pilot Bay, just a stone's throw from the gate, and experience a Whakatau (informal cultural welcome), before changing into your swimwear and starting the ocean activities.
Stand Up Paddle Boarding - Experienced paddle boarders can grab some gear and head straight out onto the water, while the beginners receive a brief lesson. All paddlers will then join together to head to the base of Mauao (the mountain) and hear the Legend of Mauao, a story of both love and loss. On the return paddle, you will have an opportunity to try some cool tricks on the boards shown off by our skilled instructors.
Waka Ama - Paddlers will start with an onshore lesson, then board the waka ama (outrigger canoe) with our experienced steerers. You will then put your paddling techniques to practice while circuiting the stunning Waikorire (Pilot Bay). You will hear about how our Maori people used similar waka to migrate from the Pacific Islands to New Zealand. Song is a big part of our culture, so expect to be serenaded on the ocean and invited to join in on some traditional waka ama chants.
At the end of the session, we will have a brief Poroporoaki (farewell) at our beach station, where you will receive a traditional gift from us. We will then accompany you back to the port gates, and leave you to enjoy the rest of your day at our beautiful Mt Maunganui.
* Towels available on the day.
Departure Point :Port of Tauranga cruise gates.
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Port of Tauranga cruise gates.
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. Adult does not need to partake.
- Participants will get wet. A dry change of clothes is recommended for after the activity.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.