Mauao Guided Hikoi (Walk)
Mt Maunganui boasts a well-loved mountain, named Mauao, seeped in history and culture. Join us in a walk through time with our local Maori guides. Take in the stunning views of Mt Maunganui, hear the compelling Maori legends, and immerse yourself in the tranquil surroundings.
per adult from
120 to 150 minutes
What's included :
- Sun screen
- Bottled water
- Rain ponchos
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Our Maori guide will collect you from the gates of the Port of Tauranga. You will then be taken to our beach station to experience a Whakatau, or informal cultural welcome. While you walk, marvel at the first sights of our beautiful home. Touch the sand, feel the ocean, and say Hi to some locals on your way.
You can safely leave any items at our beach station to collect at the end of the walk. Take advantage of our customer supplies such as sun screen, bottled water, etc. You will then be taken to the base of the mountain, Mauao, to begin your cultural guided walk.
This hikoi (walk) is a special treat, hearing local Maori legends and the history of Mt Maunganui. You have the choice to go up or around the mountain, with each track offering spectacular views in their own right.
At the end of the hikoi, you will receive a brief poroporoaki (farewell) at our beach station, where you will be given a traditional hand crafted gift from us. We will then accompany you back to the Port of Tauranga gates, and leave you to enjoy the rest of your day at our beautiful Mt Maunganui.
Let us take on a journey through time.
Departure Point :Port of Tauranga cruise gates
Departure Time :8am, 1:30pm, 4pm
Return Detail :Port of Tauranga cruise gates
Hotel Pickup :
Tour departs within walking distance of the cruise port
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A maximum of 40 people per booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.