Lighthouses and Lakes Supported Cycle Tour
A scenic cruise across Wellington Harbour, followed by an easy (and usually downwind!) bike expedition around the coast. You'll take in historic places such as the Pencarrow and Baring Head lighthouses, The Porangarahu Lakes and wetland area, Wahine memorial, World War Two bunkers and more, while also gaining fantastic views of the south coast and the Kaikoura Ranges, before finishing your adventure at Turakirae Head and the Wellington region's largest fur seal colony. We'll then shuttle you back to Wellington via Wainuiomata with fantastic views out across the Wellington region. This is an all-inclusive supported daytrip (7.5 hours all up), with all food, equipment, and transport provided, and is suitable for riders of all fitness and ability levels.
What's included :
- Ferry pass to Days Bay
- Comfortable and capable mountain bike / eBike
- Helmet and repair kit
- Rear carrier rack and trunk bag for your personal effects
- Packed lunch, water, and snacks
- First Aid kit and GPS tracker in case of emergency
- Transport back to your hotel (or anywhere else) in Wellington afterward
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- Excludes on-trail guide - our friendly staff will brief you and answer any questions you may have, but the trail is really easy to follow and full of information stations, so a guide isn't really necessary.
- Start by heading down to the East by West Ferry terminal at Queens Wharf, for a 10am sailing across Wellington harbour to our base in the beautiful Days Bay. The ferry fare is included in the price - just show the staff your booking confirmation. We'll meet you at the wharf in Days Bay, with your bikes, food, maps and info, and give you a briefing on what to expect from your adventure. You can then jump on your mountain bike / eBike and start exploring!
From Days Bay, you'll head south through the seaside village of Eastbourne, with its many bays and cafes. Check out the Eastbourne Heritage Trail detailing the history of the area and the Wahine disaster, or perhaps take a short bush walk up into the hills above the village with spectacular views and native birdsong. From Eastbourne, venture out along the coastal trail, passing by surf breaks and popular fishing and diving spots, to Pencarrow Head - home to lakes Kohangapiripiri and Kohangatera (NZ's last relatively unmodified wetland system) and NZ's first lighthouse, with plenty of side trails available if you wish to explore further. Carry on past beached shipwrecks to Baring Head, with its World War 2 bunkers and amazing views of the Kaikoura Ranges, then reach the end of the trail at the Orongorongo Valley, from where you can visit Wellington's largest fur seal colony at Turakirae Head before meeting the 4.30pm shuttle. We'll then drive you back to your doorstep in Wellington, via Wainuiomata with fantastic views out over Wellington Harbour.
Departure Point :Meridian Energy Headquarters 33 Customhouse Quay, Wellington, 6011, New Zealand
Departure Time :10:00 AM
Return Detail :Meridian Energy Headquarters 33 Customhouse Quay, Wellington, 6011, New Zealand
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise height of each rider (important so we can prepare the right size of bike for you).
- Please advise of any dietary considerations you may have.
- Please wear appropriate clothing on the day - closed shoes with either shorts or tight-fitting pants for riding, along with a tshirt or similar and fleece / jumper in reserve.
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 11 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.