Lake Wakatipu Cruise and Mt Nicholas High Country 4WD Tour
Discover New Zealand’s Lake Wakatipu and Mt Nicholas high country on a catamaran cruise and 4WD tour from Queenstown. Cruise to the lake’s western shore while hearing informative commentary from your captain. Visit a merino sheep farm, then hop into a 4WD vehicle and zip into the mountains for a bird's-eye view on the stunning region. Take short walks on the mountain, and enjoy a light Farmers Platter lunch before returning to Queenstown by boat.
What's included :
- Guided farm tour
- Light Farmers Platter Lunch
- Free tea and coffee at the farm
- Farm and 4WD Tour
- Local guide
What's excluded :
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- From the docks in Queenstown, step aboard your deluxe catamaran to cruise across gorgeous Lake Wakatipu, which reaches depths of 1,300 feet (400 meters). Surrounding mountain ranges create a dramatic backdrop to the dark blue lake.
Your boat is equipped with warm indoor seating, large viewing windows and outdoor decks that offer panoramic views of the Southern Alps, Glenorchy, Mt Earnslaw, and the Remarkables mountain range. An onboard cafe serves beverages and snacks for purchase.
Listen to informative commentary from your captain about the sights you see from the boat. Atmospheric pressures cause the lake’s water levels to rise and fall about 5 inches (12 centimeters) every few minutes. A Maori legend attributes the phenomenon to the heartbeat of a giant who lies asleep in the depths of the lake.
A slumbering giant might prove hard to find, but one could say that Elves have been here. Lothlórien scenes filmed for The Lord of the Rings movie were staged here at Lake Wakatipu.
Disembark from your catamaran at the Mt Nicholas High Country Station on the western shore of the lake and then visit a family-run merino sheep farm where you can learn about raising sheep and making wool. Then transfer to a 4WD vehicle to scale the mountains with stops at spectacular spots where you can enjoy short walks.
Your cruise on Lake Wakatipu, farm and high country 4WD tour ends upon your return to the docks in Queenstown.
Departure Point :Southern Discoveries Queenstown Visitor Centre
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please advise of your country of origin at the time of booking
- Please wear comfortable closed-toe shoes
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.