Katoa Jet & the Sacred Island Mokoia guided tour
During this 1-hour guided excursion by jet boat, enjoy the thrill of the speed and spins of your expert driver and listen to stories of love and other events that have shaped Rotorua, all while on the lookout for native and rare bird species. Located in the middle of Lake Rotorua, the Mokoia Island is a wildlife sanctuary and is home to approximately 25 Kiwi and 5 endangered, 20 protected and over 50 common bird species. The birds flourish in this predator-free environment, filling the canopy with their songs. The island´s foreshores are cluttered with natural, geothermal springs, including the world famous Hinemoa’s Hot Pool, which you'll have a chance to view.
per adult from
- Instant Confirmation
- Led by a local guide
- Perfect introduction for first-time visitors
What's included :
- Boat transport
- Professional guide
- Life jacket and coat
- GST (Goods and Services Tax)
- All taxes, fees and handling charges
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Transport to and from the Mokoia Island is by jet boat, and has an approximate duration of 30 minutes. Enjoy the speed, and spins, as the professional drivers wow you with their skill, and the powerful boats push you across the water, at approximately 85 kilometers per hour.
The Island is home to a number of endangered species including the weka (wood hen), North Island Robin (toutouwai) and Saddleback (tieke). You will also see some of the most popular native birds such as the Pukeko, Papango, Kokako, and Tui. The 30 minute tour to the Mokoia Island are guided by a professional tour guide. Hear the stories of Te Arawa Iwi, the famous love story of Tutanekai and Hinemoa, and the events that have shaped Rotorua into the cultural capital of New Zealand. This was the home of some of our most notorious Maori warriors and tribes.
There are a number of tracks that wind their way around the Island, and up to the summit. Enjoy the breathtaking 360 degree, unobstructed view of the surrounding area, from the top then wind your way back down, through the natural canopy whilst absorbing nature at it’s very best. It is of particular interest to Geographers as it is a Rhyolite Lava Dome, rising up to 180 meters above the lake surface. The island is a hub of geothermal activity, with hot pools spread around the edge of the lake. Soak your feet in the famous Hinemoas Hot Pool or walk down to where the hot waters meet the cool spring water of Lake Rotorua for a unique experience.
Departure Point :Lakefront Drive
Departure Time :9am
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Dress code: smart casual
- Minimum age 2 years
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.