Helicopter White Island & Mount Tarawera Dual Volcano Landing
Experience the thrill of combining our two signature helicopter tours landing on both Mount Tarawera and White Island. The contrast between these two volcanoes couldn’t be more amazing, from the active crater floor and steaming crater lake of White Island, to the heights of Mount Tarawera‘s summit. Here we enjoy spectacular vistas of the volcanoes craters and the surrounding lakes district.
per adult from
3 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
What's included :
- Professional pilot-guide
- Headsets to hear the guide clearly
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Take off from Rotorua aboard your helicopter with your experienced pilot-guide. As you soar above the Northern Lakes district, snap photos of the numerous lakes below including Lake Rotorua, Lake Rotoiti and over Hells Gate before crossing the coast.
Situated 31 miles (50 km) offshore from the North Island, White Island lies within the Taupo Volcanic Zone. Its main vent, located below sea level and protected by crater walls, is responsible for the activity in the island’s crater lake. Upon landing on the moon-like surface, start your 1- to 1.5-hour leisurely walking tour of the crater floor to see fumaroles (active steam vents), hot streams and ever-changing features like sulphur formations.
Walk through old mining ruins to view the weathered remains of a factory abandoned in 1933, and hear from your informative guide about the island's history, geology, wildlife and vegetation, such as gannet colonies and the remnants of a once-thriving pohutukawa forest.
Hovering above Mt. Tarawera, take in the grandeur of the volcano and its surrounding terrain. The site of the largest eruption in New Zealand's recent memory, with a loss of 153 lives, the volcanic blast covered the village of Te Wairoa and destroyed the Pink and White Terraces — staircases of waterfall pools on the shores of Lake Rotomahana, once considered the eighth wonder of the world and host to many tourists during the 1800s.
Land and explore the volcano on foot with your guide, enjoying a privileged view of its craters and domes formed by the eruption. Hear interesting commentary on the history, culture and geology of Mt. Tarawera, steeped in Maori legend, before returning by helicopter to Rotorua.
Departure Point :Memorial Drive, Rotorua
Departure Time :
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Due to comfort and balance of the aircraft, the maximum per seat limit is 297 lbs (135 kg)
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.