Hangi Pie Experience
Nestled amongst a Geothermal wonderland sits the Living Maori Village of Te Whakarewarewa.
View the spectacular landscape of geothermal pools and erupting geysers as you join in a guided tour learning of our Maori Culture, History and Traditions that have been passed down through generations. Sit back and relax to the melodious sounds of Te Pakira Cultural performers as they serenade you with songs and dance from our people. Tantalise your taste buds with a Hangi Pie Meal for lunch. Our Pie consists of foods that have been cooked in the geothermal steam vents and hot pools, encased in pastry and baked in the oven. Our pie is served with a side salad, corn cob that has been cooked in our biggest hot pool Parekohuru, and includes dessert of steamed pudding, custard, fruit salad and cream, and or course self serve water, tea and coffee.. No visit to our Living Maori Village is complete with at least a taste of something cooked in either the steam vents or hot pools.
What's included :
- 1 hour Guided Tour
- 30 minute cultural performance (Show)
- Free parking
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks, unless specified
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Included in your Hangi Pie Experience is entry, 1 hour guided tour, which leave at 9am, 10am, 12pm, 1pm, 3pm and 4pm, 30 minute show which are at 11.15am and 2pm, and of course your Hangi Pie Lunch which is served between 12pm and 2pm in our Cafe.
We have back tracks that are not included in our guided tours that you are welcome to enjoy at your own leisure, these can take anywhere from 15 minutes right up to 1 hour. See views of our steaming lakes and wonderful look outs over the village. More information on the back tracks are provided on the Visitor Guide Map you will receive on admission.
Departure Point :Tours commence at the left hand side of the Archway which is the entrance to our village. You will need to come to our admissions building on arrival to collect visitor guide maps, entrance stickers and any further information you may require.
Departure Time :Guided tours are at 9am, 10am, 12pm, 1pm, 3pm and 4pm, shows are at 11.15am and 2pm, and Hangi Meals are served between 12pm and 2pm. Our on site Cafe is open from 10am to 3pm in the winter, and 9am to 4pm in the summers.
Please note: additional tours and shows are added during our summer season.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infant meals not included - under 5 years meals are not included in the FOC entry. If you are wanting a meal for your infant you will need to purchase this.
- Child age is 5-15 year
- Adult age 16 years and older.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.