Guided Fly Fishing Trip from Wanaka
Come with Matt Butler on an authentic kiwi fly fishing experience, exploring our amazing clear waters and magnificent scenery!
Often referred to as the trout anglers ‘El Doradro’, New Zealand offers some of the finest fly fishing for wild trout on the planet. Brown and Rainbow trout inhabit some of the most spectacular, gin clear waters you will ever witness and its not just the size of the trout that draws in keen anglers, it is the challenge of hunting and sight fishing to some of the most cunning and wily trout known to man.
Whether it is your first time fly fishing or you are a seasoned expert, your trip is tailored to your needs so you are sure to get the most out of your day. Your guides essential local knowledge will get you to the spots where the fish are and will provide the tuition and advice required to give you the best possible chance at success.
per adult from
Hotel pickup available
- Private guide for a more personalized experience
- Led by a local guide
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Enjoy a day away from the hustle and bustle of the city
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
What's included :
- Courtesy transport, lunch, snacks and drinks
- Fly rod, reel and line
- Flies, tippet and other consumables
What's excluded :
- If required, waders/boots can be hired for an additional NZ$50pp
- Single day fishing licences are an additional NZ$20pp
- In New Zealand we focus on making the most of the abundant clear water and sight-fishing for trout, casting once a fish is spotted, which is more akin to ‘trout-hunting’. Sight fishing is not easy and can be at the mercy of the conditions, however it is by far the most rewarding of all.
We will target both brown and rainbow trout using mostly dry fly and nymphs. Depending on conditions we may visit a wide variety of waters ranging from mountain freestone rivers to meandering, willow lined streams. All locations have spectacular landscape, beautiful water and stunning trout.
We will be targeting fish in the average size range of 3-6lb with the possibility of coming across much larger fish. It is important to understand that fishing in New Zealand will probably be some of the most challenging you will encounter in the world and your skill execution will most likely decide how successful your day will be. Therefore it is important to practice your casting before your trip and if you have never fly fished before, much of our morning will be focused on learning the basics of fly fishing.
Full Day Itinerary:
Our day will set off from your accomodation in Wanaka or Queenstown. From there we will head towards the best option of water for the day to suit the conditions. Generally we will be driving between 1-2 hours each way to reach our water for the day.
Depending on the location and your fitness level, we could be walking between 3-6km up and down the river so be prepared for a good day on your feet. We would hope to be back at your accommodation around 5-6pm, or earlier depending on your preferences.
To indulge in a true wilderness experience, exploring some of the most remote areas in the country you may choose to try Heli-Fishing. Helicopter transfers begin around NZ$2000 for the closest backcountry river access and this cost scales up in relation to flight time. We will endeavour to keep the cost down by driving to the airstrip that is nearest to the river we will be flying to. If you would like a more detailed quote please just mention it in you enquiry below
Departure Point :Pickup Available form Wanaka/Queenstown areas
Departure Time :Departure time will be made to suit for the distance we plan to travel to the water for the day.
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.