Waipoua Forest: Giants and Glow Worms Full Day Tour
Journey into a unique part of New Zealand and explore - the Hokianga. First discovered over 1,000 years ago by Maori voyager Kupe, visit the Waipoua Forest this remote area offers the opportunity to see ancient Kauri trees in the Waipoua forest, stroll in the seaside towns of Opononi and Omapere and visit glowworm caves. After a fun-filled day tour you'll return to Paihia at 4pm.
What's included :
- National Park fees
- Live commentary on board
- Local guide
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Entry/Admission - Tane Mahuta Walk
- Entry/Admission - Kawiti Caves
What's excluded :
- Food and drinks
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Pass By: Fullers GreatSights Bay of Islands Day Tours, The Maritime Building 69 Marsden Road Paihia Waterfront, Paihia 1045 New Zealand
Pick and drop off location
Pass By: on Northland's west coast, between Dargaville and Omapere, Waipoua Forest New Zealand
Drive past the vast West Coast of Northland
Stop At: Tane Mahuta Walk, Sh12 Waipoua Forest, Opononi 0376 New Zealand
Meet a national icon, the truly impressive Tāne Mahuta (the Lord of the Forest). The largest known kauri tree in the world aged up to 2,500 years old, his mighty girth is over 13 metres and he stands an impressive 51 metres (167 feet) high. Stand beneath this ancient giant and hear the legend of how he separated earth and sky at the beginning of the world.
After your forest encounter, spend some time in the Hokianga town of Opononi before turning back towards Paihia along the old stagecoach route. This trail was first marked out by early Māori and then frequented by traders and merchants who transported supplies, kauri, gum and timber between the coasts.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Kawiti Caves, 49 Waiomio Road, Kawakawa 0210 New Zealand
On your way back, stop at the Kawiti Glowworm Caves and discover one of Northland's best-kept secrets. These family-run caves will delight you with twinkling glowworms, amazing limestone rock formations including stalactites and stalagmites, all surrounded in lush green native forest.
Duration: 45 minutes
Departure Point :69 Marsden Road, Paihia 0200, New Zealand
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- Certain seats on the vehicles will be no sit zones for distancing, Increased contact tracing is in place so you are required to provide your details upon arrival. We are following the guidelines and precautions set by the New Zealand Government.
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.