Full-Day Self-Guided Cycle and Sail Adventure from Nelson
This one-day self-guided cycle and sail adventure takes in some of the most stunning scenery on Tasman’s Great Taste Trail and the amazing experience of Sailing in the Tasman Bay.
You can choose which direction. Cycle in the morning, return by sail in the afternoon, or sail then cycle.
Cycling the Coastal section of the 'Great Taste Trail' must be experienced. Enjoy craft breweries and wineries or stop in at the World of Wearable Art Museum. With boardwalks, swing bridges, bird life and the white sandy beaches of Rabbit Island, you will appreciate life as you meander along the trail. Your destination – Mapua Wharf is a vibrant hub of galleries, studios, restaurants, wine bars, cafes, shops and the Golden Bear Boutique Brewery. A perfect destination for lunch while sampling the relaxed atmosphere and vibe.
E-Bike option: Upgrade to an E-Bike, the range of electric pedal assist bikes are amazing. Cycling - Grade 1 (easy).
- All necessary equipment included
- All taxes, fuel surcharges and service fees included
- All-inclusive tour
What's included :
- Cycle equipment which includes bicycle, helmet, repair kit, carrier bag, odometer and trail map.
- Mapua Ferry crossing
- 10% discount voucher at the Apple Shed Café or Jellyfish restaurant in Mapua
- Complimentary Tea & Coffee on board the Turissimo
- 2 Hour Sailing adventure
- Bottled water
- Transport to and from the Trail Journeys depot and sailing berth
- Entry/Admission - Mapua Ferry
What's excluded :
Cycling distance: 32kms
Lunch: Many options are available on the Mapua Wharf (own cost)
Your adventure starts at the base in Nelson where you will be fitted to your bike and briefed on your tour. From here you will start your cycle ride to Mapua on Tasman’s Great Taste Trail. (It is suggested you arrive at the depot by 9am and aim to catch the 12:10pm ferry on Rabbit Island over to Mapua)
There are many fun stops along the way with award winning wineries, craft breweries, and the World of Wearable Art Museum to name a few.
Cycle the old Rail Route from Nelson City to Richmond before turning onto the picturesque Coastal Route to Mapua. Cross the spectacular Waimea Swing Bridge then on to Rabbit Island. Take a swim in a freshwater swimming hole or the warm sea waters and sandy beaches of Rabbit Island. This is all ‘grade one’ riding (easy) where a moderate fitness level is required. A short ride on the Mapua Ferry has you landing on the Mapua Wharf where the vibe and atmosphere is very relaxing while you enjoy some great food and beverages. This is a great day out for the whole family.
At 1:30pm its time to board a sailing catamaran. Sit back or get involved on the 2-hour sail back to Nelson, catching some great afternoon sea breezes and viewing Nelson from a whole different angle. This is a magic day out!
Option B: Choose to reverse this package and start off with sailing.
Sailing Schedule: 10am - Depart Nelson, 12pm - Arrive Mapua, 1:30pm - Depart Mapua, 3:30pm - Arrive Nelson.
The vessel that you will travel in is a “Turissmo” 10-meter day sailing catamaran which has a maximum of 19 people on-board.
Departure Point :Nelson City
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Cycling First - Abel Tasman Sailing Berth
Sailing First - Trail Journeys Depot
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 7 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A minimum of 4 people per booking is required
- A maximum of 19 people per booking (Larger vessel available for larger groups on application)
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund