Dunedin and Otago Peninsula Wildlife Tour with Optional Larnach Castle Visit
While you’re in port in Dunedin, explore the history and landscapes of the Otago Peninsula on this 7.5-hour tour. Travel through Dunedin as a guide points out local landmarks including Baldwin Street and the historic railway station. Stroll among the flowerbeds of the pretty Larnach Castle gardens, and upgrade to include entry to Larnach Castle — where New Zealand’s Victorian history comes to life. Then, head along the Otago Peninsula — home to native albatross, fur seals, penguins, and sea lions. This tour includes pickup and drop-off at Port Chalmers in Dunedin.
per adult from
What's included :
- Port pickup and drop-off
- Entry/Admission - Larnach Castle & Gardens
- Entry/Admission - Penguin Place
What's excluded :
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Signal Hill Road, Dunedin New Zealand
Best Lookout in Dunedin - 400 meters above sea-level
Duration: 7 minutes
Stop At: Baldwin Street: The Steepest Street in the World, Baldwin Street, Dunedin 9010 New Zealand
Take a picture of the Steepest Residential Street in the world according to the Guinness book of records
Duration: 7 minutes
Stop At: University of Otago, 362 Leith Street, Dunedin 9016 New Zealand
Join your guide for a short 1 minute walk to see the oldest university in New Zealand - an architectural masterpiece.
Duration: 7 minutes
Stop At: Dunedin Railway Station, Dunedin New Zealand
Enjoy New Zealand'd finest building - the historic Dunedin Railway Station is the most photographed building in New Zealand for good reason. There are several other historic buildings in this area
Duration: 9 minutes
Stop At: Otago Peninsula, Dunedin New Zealand
Enjoy the jewel in the crown of our local coastal scenery where we'll make a few stops for you to take everything in.
Duration: 5 hours
Stop At: Larnach Castle & Gardens, 145 Camp Rd Otago Peninsula, Dunedin New Zealand
Enjoy the grounds of Larnach Castle - the gardens are of international signifigance and the views of the Otago Harbour are special. Here, you will also get a chance to get something to eat from the Ballroom Cafe. All tour members can choose to go inside the castle at additional cost
Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes
Stop At: Penguin Place, 45 Pakihau Road Otago Peninsula, Dunedin 9077 New Zealand
Enjoy a tour of this unique Yellow-Eyed Penguin Reserve where we aim to find the rarest penguin in the world during the breeding season. The elusive Yellow Eyed Penguin is the third largest penguin in the world and listed as 'critically endangered' - learn about this flagship species from our professional nature guides. You are likely to encounter NZ fur seals and Little Blue penguins here.
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Stop At: Taiaroa Head, Harington Point 9077, New Zealand
Your at the furthest point of your tour now where we'll look for one of the largest sea-birds in the world - the Northern Royal Albatross. These amazing birds have a wing span of 3 metres.
Duration: 30 minutes
Departure Point :Traveler pickup is offered
Upon disembarking your ship make your way inside the Visitor Terminal on the pier. Go to the rear of the building and look for door two, which is where all independent tour operators will be waiting. There will be two large digital screens showing the various tour companies and their departure times. Go through door two to locate your guide. Your driver will be holding a sign with "Back to Nature Tours" on it.Ports
- Port Chalmers Wharf, 19 Beach Street, Port Chalmers, Dunedin 9023, New Zealand
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- The CRUISE SHIP SCHEDULE in Dunedin can often change, if this happens please make your way to the meeting point as soon as the ship berths to receive instruction - the tour will still go ahead no matter what time the ship arrives.
- If your ship changes the CRUISE SHIP SCHEDULE we will change the itinerary to suit - the tour will still go ahead no matter what happens
- A small amount of walking is involved (expect to walk 500 meters at Penguin reserve)
- Two forms of ID is required to get back inside the port: your cruise ship card and driver’s license or passport would be sufficient.
- If your ship is unable to make it into port due to weather or mechanical difficulties, you will be given a full refund
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.