Downton Abbey and the Cotswolds
Take a trip back in time to the set of Downton Abbey on our full-day tour to Highclere Castle and the Cotswolds. Our tour departs from Oxford and takes you first to Highclere Castle, the splendid home of the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon. You have a chance to visit the castle and see where the filming took place and also to visit the beautiful castle grounds. We then take you to the delightful village of Bampton which was the backdrop for the village of Downton. Enjoy lunch in the Swan pub at Swinbrook and then an enchanting drive stopping in some of the quaint villages of the North Cotswolds before returning to Oxford.
What's included :
- Blue Badge guide
- Live commentary on board
- Bottled water
- Entrance ticket to Highclere Castle
- Pick up from North Oxford Hotels on request
- Pick up from Oxford Station on request
- Entry/Admission - Highclere Castle
What's excluded :
- Entry/Admission - Blenheim Palace
- This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Highclere Castle Highclere Park, Highclere RG20 9RN England
Your tour begins with a drive through the medieval city of Oxford en route to Highclere Castle. Highclere Castle is the ancestral home of the Earl and Countess of Carnarvon and is now famous for being the location of the popular t.v. series 'Downton Abbey'. Enjoy visiting the castle and the gardens and seeing where scenes from 'Downton Abbey' were filmed. The castle also has beautiful grounds which you will have time to explore.
Duration: 2 hours
Stop At: Bampton Heritage & Visitor Centre, St Michael & All Angels Church Station Road, Bampton EX16 9NG England
We leave Highclere Castle and return to Oxfordshire and the Cotswolds, starting with a visit to the charming village of Bampton, with its quaint stone houses and cottages. Bampton was the location for the village of Downton in 'Downton Abbey'. You will have time to visit St Mary's Church and the village library, both of which were used in the filming of this much-loved t.v. series.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: St Mary's Church, Swinbrook, Burford England
A pretty drive through some beautiful scenery takes us to the idyllic village of Swinbrook and the Swan pub. The pub was used in the filming of 'Downton Abbey' but was also famously associated with the Mitford sisters, who lived in the village at one time. Enjoy a pub lunch and a walk in a typical Cotswold village.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Bourton on the Water, Windrush river, Bourton-on-the-Water England
After lunch our drive continues to Bourton-on-the Water, the 'Venice of the Cotswolds' via the delightful market town of Burford and the quaint stone villages of Taynton and Great Barrington. Time in Bourton-on-the-Water to see the quaint River Windrush with its stone bridges and browse in the cafes and shops.
Duration: 30 minutes
Stop At: Stow-on-the-Wold Market Square, Stow-on-the-Wold England
Our final stop is in Stow-on-the-Wold, the highest town in the Cotswolds. Here you can visit the pretty church or wander around the market square with its cafes and antiques shops.
Duration: 45 minutes
Stop At: Blenheim Palace, Woodstock OX20 1PP England
We return to Oxford via the charming market town of Chipping Norton and Woodstock, the site of Blenheim Palace (birthplace of Sir Winston Churchill).
Duration: 5 minutes
Departure Point :Taylor Institution Library, St Giles', Oxford OX1 3NA, UK
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 4 travelers
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.