Culture in Context Tour on the Otago Peninsula
Discover the beauty and rich history of Muaupoko, the Otago Peninsula, through a unique cultural lens.Take a journey with us to uncover how the early Māori and European settlers to this land lived and thrived.
Māori, are of Polynesian decent, a sea faring people who travelled to Aotearoa, New Zealand, many centuries ago. Take a half day journey with Horizon Tours and let our guides tell you stories of those voyages, and how these resourceful settlers thrived in new lands surrounded by unfamiliar flora and fauna.Explore the Otago Peninsula and discover some of the iconic sights of interest as we drive along scenic coastal roads. Learn how early Māori lived, their customs and traditions. Hear how they interacted with European settlers, and how the two cultures created the landscape you see today.
per adult from
What's included :
- Light refreshments
- Tea and Coffee
- Hotel pickup and drop-off (selected hotels only)
- Coffee and/or Tea
What's excluded :
- While we endeavour to show you many animals along the way, they might have different ideas! We cannot guarantee seeing all specie
- • We start by introducing you to this Southern city by taking a quick look at some of the finer historic buildings in Dunedin, before we make our way out to the Peninsula.
• We spend much of our time on the Otago Peninsula, a site favoured by Māori for its abundant food and resources.
• Learn about Māori cultural ancestry and how our people travelled to Aotearoa/New Zealand, and where they settled on arrival.
• Understand the link between Māori and other Polynesian cultures in the South Pacific and their significance to New Zealand as a country today
• We tour sites of significance to learn about how the early Māori settlers to Muaupoko, the Otago Peninsula, thrived and prospered in a new land for centuries before the arrival of Europeans.
• A light snack is provided in this tour
Departure Point :• If your hotel is not one identified for pickup, you can go to the Dunedin i-SITE, 50 The Octagon, Dunedin 9016, New Zealand for collection for this tour
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please wear closed-toed footwear and comfortable clothing
- Dunedin is often a windy and sometimes wet city, we operate in all conditions, so please dress appropriately
- Low to Medium level of fitness required for this tour - 10 minute walks included.
- Vegetarian option is available, please advise at time of booking if required
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.