Bridge to Nowhere
You will travel through deep gorges masked in native bush and banks encased with ferns, caves and waterfalls and skim over rapids on this full day Jet Boat experience on the majestic Whanganui River. Take an easy stroll to the iconic Bridge to Nowhere, the bridge built with the promise of opening up land for pioneering farmers, but remoteness and unstable land meant the roads to the bridge were never completed. Learn about the unique history of Maori settlements along the river and hear the stories of the steamboats and other modes of transport that proved that the Whanganui River was once the highway from the coast to the middle of the North Island of New Zealand.
per adult from
What's included :
- Coffee and/or Tea
- Afternoon Tea
- Bottled water
What's excluded :
- After checkin formalities are completed you will board our shuttle for a short 5 minute ride down to Cherry Grove where our jetboat will be waiting. All aboard and its off skimming through the first set of rapids. After passing Ohinepani Landing and the Lavender Farm Landing there will be more rapids to be negotiated before continuing on into the Whanganui National Park. Enjoy the history shared of early Maori settlements along these banks and spot the landings that were once such a vital lifeline to the early farmers in the area.
Stop for morning tea then it's on to Mangaparua Landing where you disembark for a 40 minute stroll on a well defined track, through virgin native bush to the Bridge to Nowhere. Once there enjoy the tranquility of this isolated area that they tried so hard to break in and farm. Our guides will share the stories of their endeavors. After trekking back out to the jet boat it's time to find a picnic spot and relax and enjoy your picnic lunch. There are more stories and sites to see on your way back up the river, arriving back at Cherry Grove in Taumarunui at approximately 4pm. Our shuttle will be waiting to transport you back to our depot at the Forgotten World Motel.
Departure Point :Forgotten World Motel
Departure Time :8:00 AM
Return Detail :-
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Family: 2 Adults & 2 Children $1,200.00
- Additional Child $275.00
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.