Akaroa Day Tour from Christchurch
Enjoy a Sightseeing tour to Akaroa through the spectacular scenery surrounding Banks Peninsula, formed following violent eruptions of two ancient volcanoes. The Akaroa crater nurses the picturesque harbor and Akaroa village. Experience a Nature Cruise with highlights including the rare, NZ native dolphin - the Hector's Dolphin, as well as penguins and other sea birds. And you'll see giant volcanic sea cliffs and hear about Akaroa's fascinating past. The Tour also includes a delightful lunch at Bully Hayes Restaurant.
per adult from
9 hours 30 minutes
Hotel pickup available
- Travel by boat and see the sights from the water
- See native wildlife in their natural environment
- Family friendly
- Informative, friendly and professional guide
- Lunch included
- Free hotel pickup and drop-off included
What's included :
- Lunch - (if option chosen)
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Air-conditioned vehicle
What's excluded :
- Following a morning pickup by air-conditioned coach from your Christchurch hotel, head out along the road to Akaroa to begin your tour. Pass scenic local highlights such as Governor’s Bay, Gebbies Pass, Lake Ellesmere, Lake Forsyth and Little River, and capture the country’s breath-taking beauty on camera, travel over the beautiful Banks Peninsula, formed following violent eruptions of two ancient volcanoes. The aptly named "Hill Top" gives glorious views of Akaroa Harbor & the remote bays and farmlands. The Akaroa crater nurses the picturesque harbor and Akaroa village, the only French settlement established in New Zealand.
Visit the Barry's Bay Cheese Factory for a cheese tasting of locally made cheeses, the only remaining cheese factory on the peninsula from a bygone era. Next you can enjoy the quaint colonial architecture and wander around the charming 150 year old French harbor side village of Akaroa with its museum of settlers' history, art and craft shops and studios and al fresco cafes and wine bars.
Lunch at the popular Bully Hayes Restaurant nestled in the Akaroa Village, In the afternoon enjoy a 2 hour nature and harbor cruise on the Canterbury Cat, you'll experience a rich variety of marine and bird life in their natural habitat, including the unique and playful Hector's dolphins, as you hear about Akaroa’s fascinating past. The Hector's Dolphin is the world's smallest oceanic dolphin.
In the late-afternoon, hop back aboard your coach for the drive back to your Christchurch hotel, where your tour will come to an end.
Departure Point :Your centrally located Christchurch Hotel or Motel
Departure Time :9:00 AM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point at approximately 5:30pm
Hotel Pickup :
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Collapsible wheelchairs with removable wheels can be accommodated providing the passenger is accompanied by someone who can assist them board and disembark
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.